Thursday, January 14, 2010

?????????????????????????????????

What the hell is this dude talking about? I could not follow this guys essay if my life depended on it. It seemed like every other sentence he was going off on some tangent listing everything he could think of so by time i found a period i had to go back and read what he was tyring to describe... ok now that i have that out of my system I will talk about my ideas of cyberspace.

There are 4 defenitions out of the ten that at least have one part in them that stand out to me. These definitions seem to randomly tangent out to a freakin different planet at the end but the beginings on some of them are good. The first definition I like was:

Cyberspace: Accessed through any computer linked into the system; a place, one place, limitless; entered equally from a basement in Vancouver, a boat in Port-au-Prince, a cab in New York, a garage in Texas City, an apartment in Rome, an office in Hong Kong, a bar in Kyoto, a cafe in Kinshasa, a labratory on the Moon.

Now I don't know about the moon, at least not yet. But as far as the rest of the definiton goes, it is pretty much what I think of cyberspace as-somthing you can access from your computer (a phone able to access the internet is the same thing) and if you are within range, and equipped with the proper hardware then you can access the realm of cyberspace. But even though this is the best description as a whole, there are some other lines that I would like to include that also get the point accross.

"Everywhere and nowhere, a place where nothing is forgotten and yet everything changes."

"Its corridors form wherever electricity meets intelligence. Its chambers bloom wherever data gathers and is stored. Its depths increase with every image or word or number, with every addition, every contribution, of fact or thought. Its horizons recede in every direction;..." then it goes off on a tangent

And the fourth definition I sortof like, well bits and pieces of the very last def. of the ten. The line about cyberspace being everywhere and nowhere is cool because you can access the internet almost anywhere, whether it be through your modem, wireless router or via satellight it is available, but only on a screen. Cyberspace in like light that we can't see, except it can penetrate our walls. and since we cant see it, it is everywhere and nowhere. nothing is forgotten because the government records it all, but whoever made the site or has control over the site could change it at any time. But what I like about the 3rd definition is how it states its corridors form wherever electricity meets intelligence...which is so true because cyberspace is a digital world, and anything digital requires electricity.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, you just made my day!! I had the feeling in class yesterday that I was the only one who did not think this article made complete sense. I chose the same definition as my favorite, the rest seemed too abstract.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do without comments like your first paragraph, as it really comes across as an anti-intellectual screed and dismissive of university work. Rhetorically, it undermined the snippets of your own engagement that were evident in places underneath all that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That comment doesn't really add anything to the conversation; I'm the one doing the assessing.

    ReplyDelete