Tuesday, February 16, 2010

tuesday 's participation

The passage I chose to summerize on pages 174-175, Nakamura gives percentages on race and them having a kid and why they have the internet. I don't understand why she varies though. She states 53% of online blacks have a kid at home under the age of 18, likewise 49% Mexicans. But then she says that 42% of whites online have a kid which is 18 years old...it is inconsistant and when reading other people's data if it isn't consistant or spelled out for you it can be taken many ways. I can read what she is saying but I'm not sure why she is saying it.

She did make it clear that most americans (including myself) view the internet as a more informational means compared to television. I think Nakamura's main point of this passage is that colored people view the internet more as a means of education...moreso than whites. That is why a higher percentage of colored people have internet access with kids compared to those who do not...according to her statistics mentioned.

No comments:

Post a Comment